Saturday, May 29, 2010

Top Ten Dirtiest Places - #3


With our busy schedule when hubs asks what's for dinner, my answer is either what are you cooking for me, what restaurant are we visiting tonight, or what do I have frozen in the deep freeze? Who wants to cook after working 12 hour days? Most of you know that I try to cook on my lighter days and freeze portions. It is much easier doing this for 2 people than a full family. We do go to a restaurant at least twice a month but we never ever do fast food places mainly because you are leaving your health in the hands of teens. I have nothing against teens. I just don't leave my health in their hands. Some of my sisters worked in well known fast food places and the stories they brought home was enough to turn me off fast food places forever. Working in an upscale restaurant myself as a waitress to supplement income to help pay college bills, I know how kitchens work. This is why I rarely trust restaurants and their food.

What's wrong with restaurants? One of the many things is Hepatitis A. There is a vaccine that is given to children at age 2 but it is not currently required in most schools. This is a great vaccine because it protects us against the most common form of hepatitis, Hepatitis A. Most cases of Hepatitis A are traced to restaurants. How? Hepatitis A is transmitted fecal-orally. In other words, someone's unwashed hands contaminated with feces likely made your salad (if you think the restaurant restrooms can be dirty don't ever step foot in the employee's bathrooms as they are seldom cleaned).

Another huge thing to worry about is E. coli. It too is another fecal contaminant, and some strains can cause Traveler's Diarrhea (aka Montezuma's Revenge).

Don't forget the ice in restaurants, too. Remember the report not too long ago a middle schooler did for an award-winning science project? She proved that fast food ice is dirtier than toilet water 70% of the time.

Then there are cockroaches, mice, and other critters that run around the kitchen and storage areas. Plus many foods we eat have insects or insect parts in them that we don't see. The Department of Health and Human Services has set a standard called the Food Defect Action Levels, which (to quote a publication) "are set on the basis of no hazard to health... These levels are set because it is not possible, and never has been possible, to grow in open fields, harvest and process crops that are totally free of natural defects." So have you tasted something crispy lately that shouldn't be crispy?

As I said I worked as a waitress. I know personally of kitchen terrorism. I have seen things that make me never ever want to dine out. I never piss off my server no matter how bad they are. My revenge is the tip way after I get my meal and then I avoid that restaurant for months just in case they remembered me and they always remember a bad tipper no matter how well deserved it was. I make sure to pay those checks in cash so they don't have my name. I don't really want to gross you out but suffice to say, that Seinfeld episode involving Poppy and his unwashed hands is right on. I don't know about your area, but several Chicago news programs have given us an inside view of hidden camera visits behind the scenes in restaurants. Dropping food on the floor and the 5 second rule along with the cook picking his nose are mild. I have seen far worse and this is at a supposedly upscale restaurant.

What can we do? Well, I never ever have ice in my drinks. I will order bottled water. How many of you check your local health department for any restaurant violations? Health departments and other government agencies that inspect restaurants have this data online. The problem with cleanliness in restaurants is the human factor. Humans on this planet have varying degrees of personal hygiene and integrity, and unfortunately, restaurants have no way of determining this when someone is hired. Personally I consider the IQ factor of the average employee of said restaurant. If that IQ is below average, you are at risk.

Now you see why I cook large helpings and freeze most for quick meals at the end of my busy days.