Sunday, October 10, 2010

Inspirational Sunday - Fall


Fall is one of my favorite seasons but I do like the others for their own beauty. Fall though, has special meanings to me. I love watching the beautiful colors of the leaves as they start to change. The gorgeous colors stop me in my tracks and say stop, look, and listen. Those leaves remind me to take the time to examine what I really want in life and how I am achieving it. The color changes and their brilliance and beauty force me to reflect on the past year and the excitement I felt in spring when those leaves were just buds on a branch. Fall reminds me that in life there is birth and death and glorious colors of living in between.

This is one of my favorite quotes about fall:

“How beautifully leaves grow old. How full of light and color are their last days.”
~John Burroughs


How beautiful do we grow old? How full of light and color are we? How much can we learn then from those who are old? How often do we take the time to stop and listen to what they have to say?

I know that although my inlaws frustrate the h out of me, I have them to be thank for the wonderful son I married. I also know that they have taught me many things in the last 33 years. I love my FIL's gentle ways and although he can addle my brain after spending even an hour with his dementia, I still love how his mind thinks and how even in his dementia he lives in those gentle ways.

I know that although my mother frustrated the h out of me, I miss her each and every day and wish she was still in front of me to just hug and say "I love you" and "The person I am today is because of you. Thank you!"

“Autumn, the year's last, loveliest smile.”
~William Cullen Bryant


"Even if something is left undone, everyone must take time to sit still and watch the leaves turn."
~Elizabeth Lawrence


"Autumn is the eternal corrective. It is ripeness and color and a time of maturity; but it is also breadth, and depth, and distance. What man can stand with autumn on a hilltop and fail to see the span of his world and the meaning of the rolling hills that reach to the far horizon?"
~Hal Borland

No comments: