Saturday, July 11, 2015

Pet Peeve - Repeating Yourself


I don't know about any of you but this has become one of my top pet peeves. Why is it man can hear and comprehend what they want yet one has to repeat themselves day in day out of the same exact thing?

Am I happy I am married? Yes, married 36 years soon to be 37 and together 38 years soon to be 39. If something happened to my husband, I would never remarry - ever! Do I enjoy being married? Yes. Would I enjoy doing it again and starting over? No.

I have read studies upon studies that people who have been married or together for a long time will become so used to the sound of another's voice that they learn to filter. As Ray in "Everyone Loves Raymond' said in his best man toast for his brother Robert's wedding:
Like today, for example. A lot to talk about. But I think I can put a good spin on it. I think, uh I think there's one thing that can make it all better. Editing. Yes, there's a portion of today's ceremony that we won't need to save on the videotape. Editing...........We remember the good stuff..........I think you're gonna remember about today what you want to remember. Like, at my wedding, I remember it as the day I got to kiss the most beautiful woman in the world. And I hope that's how she remembers it too, as a good day. The start of a lot of good memories.
I think that is what we all do. We begin editing in our marriages. In the large scheme of things, do we remember repeating ourselves a hundred and one times on the same thing? Well, maybe. But you start forgetting that and use other techniques to get his attention. But I tend to use editing. Right now I am trying to edit out these repeating myself moments.

And editing......................................................lots of editing...................................

No comments: