Thursday, July 16, 2015

Recipe Thursday - Chopped Salad with Chickpeas with Cheesey Gluten Free Biscuits

I don't know about any of you but I don't like hot weather. If the temperature goes over 40 degrees I am not happy but if the temperature goes over 90, I melt. I usually can't stand to eat hot meals when it is hot outside and I hate turning on the oven or even cook over a stove. Instead I find myself drawn to salads that are super easy to put together and I usually have frozen leftover cooked meats to top it off. This is one of my favorite summer salads and the biscuits? They just melt in your mouth!


Chopped Salad with Chickpeas and Chicken

Ingredients:
2 large Romaine hearts, washed and chopped
1 cup cooked chicken breast
1 can (15.5 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup grape tomatoes sliced in half
3/4 cup sweet corn (I use what I have canned and froze)
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (or crumbled goat cheese)
1/3 cup cilantro, washed and chopped
1 small avocado diced
1/2 cup dressing of your choice - I love Raspberry Vinaigrette or Ranch

I toss all the above except the avocado and dressing in a large bowl. Garnish with the diced avocado and drizzle with dressing if you wish. I serve with the following biscuits which I also make a huge batch of and freeze.


Cheesy Gluten Free Biscuits

Ingredients:
6 eggs, separated
6 oz whipped cream cheese, not softened
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon dried mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Olive oil (for greasing the muffin tins)

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Separate the eggs. Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites and beat them until they form stiff peaks. Add the cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, and spices to the egg yolks and mix thoroughly. Using a spatula gently fold the yolk mixture into the egg white mixture. Be careful not to lose too much volume. Scoop the mixture into the greased muffin tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes. They are done when they are a golden brown. They will look very fluffy but as they cool they flatten a little (this is normal). This should make 12 muffins. I make them ahead and freeze them. I then will defrost them in the fridge overnight and reheat in a toaster oven or microwave.




No comments: