Sunday, December 21, 2008

Beware the nosy neighbor!


I swore I would never ever be a really nosy neighbor but today changed all that.

I was calmly sitting at my desk in between batches of cookies, making cappelletti, and making my list of stuff to do for this week, when I looked up and the house right across the street had 3 guys walking to their front door. Ok....I am thinking....owner of home (a widow) is in the ICU on a ventilator and son is in the hospital too and those 2 trucks are not any I have seen before. So I get out my binoculars (yes I have them to.... um....for football games and ummm....birdwatching - yeah birdwatching. I get in close. 3 really young guys with hoodies over their heads. They go to the door. No one answers. 3 minutes later they get the door open.

I am starting to get a wee bit nervous since there have been 3 breakins in our area in the past week and this is an empty house. Wait....one of the guys comes back to one of the trucks and gets out a dolley and heads back to the house. I get out my phone book and call the house thinking if they are the grandchildren who are never over there but are legit, then they will answer the phone, right?

They didn't. I hung up and dialed 911. Since we live in an unincorporated area, the surrounding towns responded before the county. There were 6 cars in total responding before the county showed up 30 minutes later (he was at the scene of an accident).

So, turns out it was their grandchildren coming to snowblow the driveway and check on the house since the one son will be released from the hospital tomorrow. So my worry was all in naught.

But I was a good neighbor and made a huge pot of hot chocolate and gave the officers and grandkids some cookies that had just been made to go with the hot chocolate.

My husband and son's impression of the whole thing: Nosy crazy neighbor! Ok, can I help it if I am still in my robe, my hair spiked in every direction, flour strew on my robe and over my arms, barefoot (yes even in this cold weather), and very very beet red eyes (from wearing contacts last night)? I might look a bit crazy but....it could have been a whole different scenario.

No comments: