Friday, September 25, 2009

Meniere's Disease


I was diagnosed with this 6 years ago. It was a diagnosis of exclusion and I think every possible test was run at the time, then every year. It wasn't until about 3 years ago when I was put on the treatment for Meniere's Disease that my symptoms decreased although they are pretty constant on a day to day basis.

My symptoms range from a mild tinnitus and dizziness which I have learned to control on a day to day basis to full blown where I am pretty much incapacitated and need to hold on to another person just to walk and stabilize myself. I haven't had a full blown attack now in 6 years. Even though I have not had a full blown attack, I have what I call 'episodes' when I have a cold or allergies that increase the fluid in my ear. Those with Meniere's disease have a problem with keeping the fluid drained from the ear so any increase with allergies or a cold just makes it worse.

Right now I have a fall cold brought on my allergies and probably viral in nature. I went to the doctor this afternoon because I could no longer hear out of my right ear and I was having severe pain from all the fluid. I couldn't get the fluid to drain with a normal decongestant. Due to the increased amount of fluid behind my eardrum, the doctor put me on an antibiotic and a strong decongestant to help drain my ear which has a problem all on its own keeping drained.

So meeting the kitten is postponed for tonight until tomorrow after work. These meds better work fast because I have to work all day tomorrow.