Friday, September 17, 2010

Book Review - The Watson Brothers by Lori Foster

I would like to make a comment before going into this review. I am not a typical reviewer. I review what I read - period. I purchase my own books and refuse to accept any author's freebie books - this way I can state without any guilt what I really feel about the book. I think I have said this in the past but I thought it beared repeating. My opinions therefore, I feel are more honest than a typical reviewer. I will tell you how I felt about the book and I will also not be afraid to tell you what I didn't like about the book. If a particular author is an auto-buy for me, I state that. If said author publishes a book or 2 I don't like and review, I will also state that and why I didn't like it but that doesn't mean I would never buy another book written by that author. It would take more than that to totally turn me off buying that author's books but I will tell you it has happened but I won't tell you that author's name.

Okay, on to the review:

I have no idea how I missed reading this book but this was the first time I read it. I am glad I did. But..........

I will be honest and state that The Watson Brothers are totally different than The Buckhorn Brothers. I didn't like them as much as I liked The Buckhorn Brothers. I read this series right after I had read the other so I didn't review The Watson Brothers right away. My first impressions therefore weren't that good. So instead, I waited to see if some time and and reading 14 other books put some distance and maybe a different perspective between the 2 series before I would reread the book. (I have had that happen with other series from other authors so I always give a benefit of doubt.)

That said, the time did change my perspective so I will tell anyone out there not to read them together. They are different. But a good different. I found myself attaching to all 3 Watson Brothers a whole lot more on the 2nd read than the 1st read so my review will be based on that 2nd reading.

The Watson Brothers are 3 short novella type stories in one book. I understand the one book is actually a reissue and all 3 stories have appeared in prior books (probably in those I haven't gotten to read yet).

The first story was My House, My Rules which introduces the oldest brother: Sam. I loved the title right off the bat (my kind of title - see the title of my blog to get my drift). This story is about 2 very headstrong and stubborn people (I can really relate to that). Ariel and Sam actually know each other (Ariel is Sam's brother's ex-girlfriend). Sam has been in love with Ariel since his brother Pete brought her home. Ariel has been in love with Sam since she was introduced to Sam. Sam is a strong alpha undercover cop though who refuses to get involved with any woman because of his job and with Ariel, he resists her even more because she is 12 years younger than him but that she was Pete's ex and he thinks Pete is still mooning over her. Ariel though decides to take matters into her own hands and purposely dons a very sexy dress and goes to a bar where she knew Sam had been going to. Problem is that Sam was undercover and Ariel almost spoils the bust. Sam takes her to his home (his big mistake) and tells her that he wants to have an affair with her - his house, his rules. Ariel goes along and they are both taken for one erotic hawt ride (pun intended). He quickly learns that although it was his house and his rules, some rules can be changed if they involve Ariel. These 2 people remind me a lot of my husband and I as we spar with each other verbally about as much as Sam and Ariel do and my husband and I end up pretty much the same way Sam and Ariel end up after one of those matches.

The second story was Bringing Up Baby which is about the middle brother, Gil. Gil finds out he has a toddler after a night of sex with the baby's mother while on a business trip (note this is totally out of character for him). Gil is a staunch, stiff, orderly, uptight person who is all into appearances (my term for him would be prick). His home is a designer's dream. But Anabel unexpectedly appears with his daughter, Nicole, and you just see the ice and stiffness disappear as Gil loses his heart to both Anabel and his daughter. Anabel is not the Nicole's biological mother (they were roommates and Nicole's biological mother left all of Nicole's care to Anabel). Anabel though is not the type of person Gil usually dates or is attracted to. I loved this story for the slow Tantric feelings that pull these 2 together along with their love for Nicole. I also loved how Gil changed into a hawt, caring man and father. I am still amazed how Lori Foster pulled off this short story and turned 2 entirely different people into hawt lovers and I was right there rooting for them to get together and it wasn't because of Nicole. I was also amazed at how fast she turned around my impression of Gil as a prick and I actually read this story twice to see how she did it. If you read closely you can see how she did it and I was really impressed!

The third story was Good With His Hands which is about Pete, the youngest brother. Pete was introduced a bit in the first book but he was young. This book has Pete grown up but without any clear goals. He lives next door to Cassidy and they are friends, neighbors, and co-workers. They are attracted to each other but Cassidy is a goal directed person and has a vision of her 'perfect man' and Pete doesn't fit it. One hawt hawt steamy hawt hawt kiss changes the relationship. I loved the hawt factor and both characters who are hilarious yet with all this hawtness exploding off the pages. I was reading this story after my husband had gone to sleep and I woke him up because I could not contain my laughter at a few of the scenes. I am not going to give you all the details about the scenes but one involves parents (had it happen to me in much the same manner) and another involves a tie and yet another involves the title (there is a reason for that title) and another involves payback from Pete's older brothers.

So I am giving this book a big thumbs up. I do wish each story was longer or each of the brothers had their own book and I do wish there was more involvement between the brothers in each story because I think the 3 of them would have played off each other nicely. Just don't read it after the Buckhorn Brothers!

No comments: