Sunday, September 26, 2010

Inspirational Sunday - Peace


This is a church in Colorado that is built into the surrounding mountainside. A friend of mine recently took a trip to CO and brought home this picture. I loved it so I asked her if I could use it in my blog and as wallpaper for my computer. There were a few other pictures of the sun shining through the church and the stained glass windows just lit up, kinda like a Thomas Kinkade photo or picture. One day I will visit this church myself.

The reason I asked to take a copy of it for myself: just looking at the picture, all I felt was peace (which was good after the week I had had and the week coming up - see previous post Busy Busy).

Peace is good. I don't know about you but I find peace hard to describe. I know when I feel it though. To me peace is those moments when I am cuddling with my husband and I feel love and contentment and God. Peace to me is also anytime I am with my children, or I am praying the rosary, or when I notice the little things in life. It can come over me even when I am doing nothing special but that feeling goes deep down into my soul.

Peace then is uncompromising (I can either choose to feel it or not). Personally I can't feel peace though when I want to be the person who is right or have my own way. I can't feel peace when I feel anger or am vengeful. I can't feel peace when I am being hurtful or when I feel justified in having the last word. I can't feel peace when I force my will on others. I can't feel peace and feel my way is the only right way to talk to God. I can't feel peace when I have to take a side in any conflict.

Notice how I am describing those times I can't feel peace and describing who makes me feel peace. Describing that feeling though is hard. It is a feeling of being in the moment. It is a feeling of being content with myself in my heart and brain and body. How I feel peace might not be how you do. Peacefulness only exists in you when you or I choose to feel it right now within our own experience while we move through the world. There is no other way to encounter it. Peacefulness then is a quiet, calm, chosen, felt-condition, resonating within our individual heart. Peace is also a choice and when we choose it as a part of us, we impact the quality of our thinking and our doing.

Peacefulness is an inner sense of calm - it comes from becoming still - in order to reflect and meditate on our inner wisdom and receive answers. A peaceful heart is one that is free from worry and trouble. It's becoming quiet so we can look at things quietly so we can more clearly understand them and thus come up with creative solutions. It is learning to live in the present.

End each day with thoughts of peace. Begin each day with thoughts of peace. Continue thinking thoughts of peace throughout your precious day and happiness will be yours.

When we are present in each moment, the past gently rolls up behind us and the future slowly unravels before us.
- Rev Richard Levy

True peace is found in this moment. Acceptance is the 1st step to inner calm.

No comments: