Saturday, September 18, 2010

Movie Review - Love Happens

This is the first time I have ever done a movie review. I had 2 or 3 cortisone shots (one in my knee and 1-2 in my ankle) and they are giving me the predictable reactions I usually have so I am back in bed for the weekend. I am catching up on some of my TiVo'd things and this movie happened to be one of them.

I loved the movie. It drew me in and kept me with it the entire time which is unusual for a love romance story. I love Jennifer Aniston (Eloise) and Aaron Eckhart (Burke) in it. Aniston is a really good actress and it shows in this movie. While I don't personally know her, I can imagine she is pretty much down to earth like this character. Eckhart was also excellent in portraying the deep struggle of a man coming to grips with his wife's death and the journey he has to take to face the truth.

Love Happens is that rare romantic movie with emotions other than love at first sight. It is not your typical love story. It is full of quirks like Eckhart as a best selling author of self help books with titles like "A-Okay", the quirky "A-Okay" sign he throws out, quirky dates (sticking gum on a wall or watching a concert in a bucket of a lift truck, and the quirks Eloise has (she saves her favorite floral greetings on index cards and writes SAT type words on hotel walls behind pictures - words it takes a dictionary to interpret them). I also loved the shots of some of the most photogenic spots in Seattle.

The movie works because it's all about getting in touch with whatever is holding you back and the director (Brandon Camp) takes very seriously the anger and sadness of his characters and the deep vein of grief that runs through a person.

The movie worked for me. I loved it and give it an A!

No comments: