Sunday, August 23, 2009

Words and Phrases I Abhor - Okay Hate


I am old. I know I am when I see words being overused or used incorrectly and notice. When I was younger.....okay much much younger, I would only notice words the adults used and make fun of them. Role reversal now. Everytime I do it I look around my shoulder to see if my grandmother is lecturing me. Nope - I have become her.....***gasp***

Here are my top 10 words/phrases but realize that these are only some of the words I hate. I have included what I say in return:

"Whaz up?" - The sky, the ceiling, or I will look up and see what is up and answer. When did this become the way of asking someone what is new with them?

"Awesome" - Nifty, cool beans, are you on drugs?

"Absolutely" - Okey dokey, so there isn't a chance you aren't a wee bit uncertain?

"Ummmm" - I have learned to filter out the ummm's I because I use this one too much myself.

"Like, you know" - Like is an affection toward someone. So who do you like and no, I don't know.

"She/he goes" - This is used in place of she/he says or said. I ask where does he/she go?

"Hot" - It seems everything is 'hot' now. Well, I fit right in then because I am always hot flashing in some way or another, therefore I conclude I am 'hot'.

"Importantly" or worse "more importantly" - When did this become a word? The correct phrase is 'more important. Importantly is not a word.

"Going forward" - This seems to have replaced 'from now on'. Going forward implies that we were going backwards at one time or you want to forget something in the past but you are not going to tell me which makes me wonder what you are covering up.

"No problem" - When did this phrase start being used instead of "you're welcome"? Again, it makes me wonder if there really is/was a problem.

Although I have given you the top 10, there is one more I thought of. It annoys me when I hear an pregnant parent or someone say "I'm having a BABY girl or BABY boy", Why are they adding the 'baby' part? If they are pregnant they sure aren't going to be popping out a teenager. Isn't it redundant - like a double negative?

One more - the caption in the above photo. It seems to be the new buzz word. FAIL. Does anyone have a clue as to its meaning? All my son does is laugh when I ask him.

No comments: