Sunday, July 20, 2008

2nd Anniversary Memories


This is the 2nd anniversary of our dear friend's passing. I like to think he is in a better place and sitting back and looking down on all of us, laughing at what we do and how little we relax and still pulling his pranks as he always did. I know he is still with us. He loves to still play pranks on us (lights going on and off, radio/cd player not working, etc). You just know he's there.

I remember the day I first met him. I was a home care nursing supervisor and had just admitted a patient into our agency. It was not in a nice part of town. So leaving their apartment, I held onto my purse, nursing bag, and went straight to my car, only to figure out I locked the keys inside. Yeah not brilliant. I called my husband who was my fiancee at the time and he couldn't drive the spare up to me but said the new associate with him would and I was to wait on the corner for him to come. He described his car to me and told me his name but said he wouldn't be there for at least a half hour. So I anxiously paced the corner carefully watching my surroundings at all times.

20 minutes later a car approached me and slowed down and then stopped. I swear you could hear my heartbeat a mile away. I avoided eye contact, trying to ignore this person and looking around for where I could run and thinking of what was in my medical bag that I could hit him with. Yeah, bandages, ointments, blood pressure cuff, stethoscope, bandaids, foley catheter kit, etc were just not going to cut it. Then I remembered my scissors. So I dug in the bag for my scissors and pulled what I thought was them when I heard someone singing.

"Standing on a street corner watching all the boys go by"......I snuck a look and there was the guy my fiancee had described....L in his convertible singing to me and then laughing and said: "I don't think those Q-tips will do much damage. Is that all you got? Oh by the way, I am L and you obviously are *****. You look exactly as your fiancee described you, only shorter. Here's your key and I'm going to give you a hint: a street corner is not the place for someone like you to be standing without singing. Now if you want your key, you have to sing the song."

Yep I sang the song and threw my bag at him. Thus began a long friendship. We still miss you, our friend!