Saturday, July 19, 2008

The New Math


I was reading an article at cnn dot com about a new math:
Frustrated parents sneak 'old math' to kids
Basically the article states that parents are struggling with the new concept-based math.

I remember back....ok ok way way way back.....in the good old days, when we were introduced to something called "new math". We learned to memorize the times tables and had speed contests on who could add, subtract, multiply and divide the fastest. Division was done the long way, you know, with descending columns of numbers, subtracting all the way down. I remember slide rules and that a calculator (a new idea) cost way too much for anyone to get.

Then the next generation came along with another 'new math'. I remember my kids learning it and while my son caught onto that way perfectly fine, my daughter was like a deer in the headlights. We would work with her and work with her trying to teach her the 'new way' they wanted her to learn. They wanted her to solve problems using only one way. She just could not grasp that way. It wasn't until we taught her the old way and a much simpler way that the light bulb went on and she got it. She went on to get her degree in business administration in accounting with an 4.8 of 5 grade point average. Not bad for someone who couldn't grasp the memorization or their new way.

Most kids learn things in different ways but most schools don't take the time to explain all those ways. There are just too many kids. I was in advanced math classes my whole life. I do math in my head. I saw patterns in math and use them to solve a problem. For example: if I am figuring a tip of 20% on a $35.00 bill, I would think what 10% would be ($3.50) and then add $3.50 + $3.50 or $7.00. I have seen many people get out pen and paper and try to multiply out the formula. You don't need to. The same would be to multiply 55 by 5. Most people would multiply the 5 by 5, putting down the 5 and carrying the 2, then multiplying the 5 by 5 and adding the 2 to get 275. It's much simpler using conceptual math. Conceptual math teaches the kids to make it easy. You know that 5 is half of 10 so if I multiply 55 by 10 I get 550 and half of 550 is 275. Much simpler and no pen and no paper.

I for one am glad to see this. Kids nowadays out in the job world have no clue how to add or subtract without a calculator. If the electricity went out, they would sit and stare and unless someone had batteries, they would be lost. I have seen it.

There have been many a kid I have confused giving them a $20.00 bill and a $1.00 bill and 1 penny when my bill is $16.01. They say I am giving them way too much money. I tell them I want one $5.00 bill back and not 3 singles and 99 cents of change. They just shake their heads like I am cheating them.

New math. Old math. I for one would just be glad if people knew how to add, subtract using their heads and not pen and paper.