Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Guilty? Pleasures



Someone sent me an email a month or so ago and asked me for my 10 guilty pleasures. I was to respond and sent it on to others for their guilty pleasures too but yeah, time got in my way.

Deciding to finally answer the email, my mind got to wondering.......
What constitutes a guilty pleasure?" Something that you feel guilty enjoying? If that is the case, then I don't have any guilty pleasures because I enjoy each and every one of them. Finding a definition on the web I got: "There is no guilt unless the pleasure is forbidden." Hmmm.....nope, still no guilt in my pleasures.

So in no particular order here are my pleasures that I do not feel guilty about in the least:

1. Reading. Any book about any subject is fine except stories with vampires or shapeshifters. I read it all: erotica, romantic erotica, medical thrillers, vanilla romance, textbooks, People magazine - doesn't matter as long as there isn't a vampire or shapeshifter. I read for me. My tastes differ even by the week which is why my TBR pile contains all my reading types.

2. Animals. I am a sucker for any animal except snakes (although I love to eat them roasted in an open pit) or reptiles like lizards and geckos. I refuse to even go see them at the zoo and will deliberately avoid them. Now puppies and kitties are my weakness. I stay out of places that have either. You don't know how hard it is for me to say no to taking them home with me which is why we had more animals in the house than people until this past year.

3. Kids. Yeah I love kids as long as they are not bratty or obnoxious or are deliberately cruel. There is nothing like a baby smell or holding a sleeping baby. I love the enthusiasm, the innocence, their ability to question, and tell it like it is. Kids tend to gravitate to me. Some close to me say that it's because deep inside I am still a kid at heart and so I understand them.

4. Music. All kinds. My favs are classical especially involving the piano, spiritual, oldies, tenors, and more recently I am into Celtic music. I ordered some celtic sheet music not too long ago and today had my first chance at trying it on the piano. Of course it sucked but time but it will soon glide off my fingers like Pachebel's Canon or Simon and Garfunkel's Sounds of Silence or Stairway to Heaven by Led Zepplin or Send in the Clowns or way too many to mention that are my favs.

5. Crafts but more specifically crocheting or cross stitch. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing and giving a finished project.

6. I love sleep. I can sleep for more than 8 hours, wake up and just stay in bed for as long as I like and sleep over and over again. Yep I am a sleep whore but rarely do I get a chance.

7. My computer which I positively adore especially since I have learned how to use Excel. Sure makes things lots easier to keep track of.

8. The male body but especially my husbands. (Bet you didn't think I would actually put that one in Terri, did you? **snicker**)

9. Food: fresh seafood, good old fashioned Southern cooking, deep dish peach pie with homemade peach ice cream.

10. Nursing and helping others.

11. Yep I am actually adding an 11th. Nature. I love love love camping. I hate crowds although I tolerate them and enjoy meeting and talking to others. But put me in a tent on the side of a mountain next to a lake with a horse and my husband and I am in heaven.

See? I am really a simple person.