Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Comfort Foods

Everyone has their own comfort foods and what it is will depend on many things. We turn to comfort food for familiarity, emotional security, a special reward, ease of preparation, culture, or even the cost of the food. The reason a dish becomes a comfort food are varied but it is often thought that a favorite comfort food has some pleasant association of childhood.

Favorite home-made comfort foods in the US include macaroni & cheese, mashed potatoes (or twice-baked potato), applesauce, peanut butter, and ice cream. None of those do it for me but I have always had to be different.

My comfort foods are buried in the South where I mainly grew up. There is nothing like homemade ice cream:


Or a nice warm deep dish peach pie with homemade ice cream of course:


But my favorite is what I came home to tonight after work, made by daughter who is staying with us while her husband is out of town on business: chicken fried steak with mashed tators, milk gravy and fried corn with homemade biscuits. Yummmmmmmm


So what are your comfort foods?

No comments: