Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Pulling a Me

For those of you who know me, you know what I am talking about. For those uneducated, this is what is called 'Pulling a Me (insert my real name for the word me)'.

My brain is constantly turning and working. Things come out of my mouth sometimes without my knowing I said it out loud. I will pick up a conversation we might have had 10 minutes ago or a few days ago and finish said conversation without any preamble or cluing you into what I am talking about. That's how my mind works. I remember conversations and think of another point to make and just say it. You as the listener, just need to remember prior conversations to keep up with my brain.

I also have a tendency to say what I think. Sometimes this is good. Sometimes bad. Yesterday after 5 phone calls to the social worker assigned to my FIL's case and her calling the home phone instead of the cell phone number I gave her, I had come home to yet another message from her, this time stating that she had reserved a space at *** nursing home for him and he would be moved there Friday. I called back immediately (yes it was 11:00PM) and left her a message that we are not doing that and if she didn't call me back properly at the right phone number and provide the documents we have repeatedly asked for, that heads would fly. Seems I got her supervisor's answering machine instead of hers. A very good OOPS.

It's amazing how fast things work when you get your gluts chewed out by a supervisor. She called me this morning while I was driving out to inlaws in a snowstorm and icy roads. All I said was: "What part of calling me after 2PM CST did you not understand?" I then hung up. Promptly at 2PM I got a phone call. I was back at MIL's house, writing down a new medication list for her when I got the call. I had told MIL what this lady had been doing so as I answered my cell I flipped it on speaker phone so MIL could hear too.

Social worker: "We are transferring your FIL on Friday to ***."

Me: "Might I ask who gave you permission to do this without the family's consent?"

Social worker: "I gave you a list of nursing homes to put your FIL in. This was one of them."

Me: "You have not answered my question. Who gave you permission to transfer my FIL to this place?"

Social worker: "Well, I assumed you would want the closest place."

Me: "Have you ever visited the places you referred us to? When were your last visits to these places? And why did you only refer us to places that your employer owns?"

Social worker: "I visit the places quite frequently."

Me: "You have not answered any of my questions. I will give you one at a time since you seem incapable of answering 3 at the same time."

Social worker: "ummm"

Me interrupting: "First question - when was your last visit to ***?"

Social worker: "I try to visit them."

Me: "Wrong answer. When was the last time you visited ***?"

Social worker: "Well, it's been a while."

Me: "How long is 'it's been a while?"

Social worker: "ummm"

Me: "Well, we visited all of your places on the list which coincidentally were all the places your employer owns although there are over 40 other places within a 10 mile radius of the town my inlaws live. So next question is: Why did you not give us information on those places?"

Social worker: "ummmm"

Me: "Wrong answer. You are in violation of Illinois law. Consider yourself reported. Now as to the place you stated you are putting my FIL, I would not personally put a dog there. That place does not have the approval of the family who has power of attorney. It actually is currently in jeopardy of losing its Medicare license for filthy, unsanitary, and unsafe conditions. I do my homework and checked out each and every place on the state website."

Social worker: quiet - dead silence - in fact I had to ask if she was still there to which she replied yes.

Me: "Now, on to another of the points we had to discuss. I have repeatedly asked for my FIL's records. We have signed all HIPAA forms. We have a right to those records. You were to fax them to the number I gave you, yet my office informs me they have not received said fax yet. May I have a time you will be finally doing this?"

Social worker: "Oh I tried to fax that this morning but my fax machine said the phone number wasn't right."

Me: "Oh, really, how interesting! Would you please tell me the name and manufacturer of your fax machine since I need one to tell me things like that too. Mine only gives me a report that states that either the fax went through, the line was busy, or it was unable to receive a signal. But it is all in report format. Since yours talks, I would like to know the brand so I can get one too."

Social worker: "What is your fax number so I can clarify the number?"

Me: (Not playing her game since I gave said fax number 5 times now). "What number do you have?"

Social worker: "I can't seem to find it right now. I take care of a lot of patients."

Me: "So do I yet I can tell you where every patient's chart and information is at all times for 3 offices and the 10 doctors I do billing for and the 2 surgery centers I bill for too along with the 85 doctors I do consulting for. I might suggest an managerial organizational course. I am repeating the fax number again, it is ***-***-****."

Dead silence.

Me: "Did you get that now?"

Social worker: "Yes, thank you."

Me: "When we committed FIL, we were told that a family meeting would be scheduled to discuss the treatment done and the recommendations for further care. I would like this meeting to be Friday, January 9th at 2pm. I want the psychiatrist, you, and one of the therapists present at the meeting but I do not want my FIL present."

Social worker: "Well, you have given me short notice. I need more time."

Me: "You do not get any more time. FIL has been there since 12-31-08 now. The family meeting will be held in 3 days which is plenty of time since we have been waiting since 1-1-09 for this meeting to even be scheduled. Now, would you like me to call your supervisor to arrange this meeting?"

Social worker: "No, the meeting will be held as you requested."

Me: "Thank you. Now what time do you think the medical records and reports will be faxed to me or do I have to call the supervisor to get them?"

Social worker: "I will go and fax them immediately. I have been busy."

Me: "We all have been busy. Thank you. I expect to see those reports within the hour or your supervisor will be called. Thank you and I look forward to meeting you on Friday, January 9th at 2PM. Oh, and FIL will not be transferred anywhere on that day. The family will inform you of their decision of where he is going at the family meeting. He will be transferred on Saturday, January 10th. Please have all pertinent records and items available at the family meeting. Now you have yourself a nice day!"

That was my day along with taking MIL to her 1st speech therapist appointment and to her 1st neurologist appointment. We learned she had 2 strokes. One in the left lobe of the brain and one in the brain stem. Both were small but were warnings. The neurologist ordered more tests and I did get those scheduled for next Wednesday. MIL also picked a place we had seen last night - a group home atmosphere that specializes in dementia and Alzheimer's patients. I also scheduled Lifeline to be installed in her house, talked to her one neighbor who has taken it upon himself to arrange a neighborhood watch program for her twice a day, and scheduled an elder care lawyer visit on Friday for asset protection. I got FIL's VA application filled out and sent in, and I arranged for us to transfer a few of FIL's personal belongings to the group home on Friday evening so that when we transfer him there on Saturday during daylight (he's better during the day), he will walk into the place with some of his personal things already set up. I also had brought with me today a bulletin board and a dry erase melamine board. The bulletin board we will hang pictures on for him with our names underneath the picture. The melamine board to be used to put his name and the date on daily for a constant reminder for him who he is and what date it is.

I came home and cooked a full meatloaf, au gratin, and broccoli dinner. Now I have to get ready for an 7 hour seminar I am giving tomorrow.

Has anyone found extra time in a day yet?