Sunday, December 6, 2009

Spiritual Sunday - Staying Positive


Staying Positive - easier said or typed than done. But did you know that people who were pessimistic had a nearly 20 percent higher risk of dying over a 30-year period than those who were optimistic?

The problem is that staying positive is not easy and there are no simple tricks. Reading a books about tips on staying positive won't suddenly change your outlook on life, but it can make you start thinking differently. The main trick to staying positive is wanting to be happy. If you want to be happy and positive, then you can!

You can also avoid negative thinking. Avoid dwelling on downers. Focusing on negatives isn't only unpleasant, it also can make you less effective in tackling any tasks you face. Don't diss yourself. You may have had negative messages in your head for a long time. But research shows that you can learn to shift your thoughts and that, over time, you can literally change your brain.

Another way I avoid negative thinking is to imagine what I'd tell a friend if he/she was worrying about something. I would likely convince him/her to wait a bit before assuming the worst. So if I can do that for my friend, why can't I do it for myself?

Honestly though, the best way I stay positive is I put myself in God's hands. I let Him take care of whatever problem or worry I have. He always comes through even if I don't always like His answer.

Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.
- Willie Nelson


A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
- Winston Churchill


A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
- Herm Albright