Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Dirtiest Places - #12 - Lemons and Limes but in reality all fruit and veges


For those of you who were thinking this would contain a recipe, ummm....nope.

Did you know how dirty restaurant lemons and limes are? If you are like me, I always ask for either lemon or lime to go with my water. For the house, I usually buy at least 6 lemons and 6 limes a week and I either use them in my water or hubs and son use them in their beer. At the end of the week I use them in a recipe although I have been known to buy more if I am planning on making lemon chicken or my parchment tilapia.

Back to dirty lemons and limes. Out of 6 restaurants, one being a buffet, all 6 were found to have fecal matter on their lemons and limes. Yep you read that right. All 6! Good Morning America did a study 1n 2008 if you don't believe me.

So the next time you are thinking of having a lemon or lime in your drink - squeeze the juice into your drink and don't put it in your drink! Think twice about ordering a drink with fruit in it unless you see the bartender or your waiter/waitress wearing gloves to put that fruit in. Yeah I was a waitress and that just does not happen!

Oh - and wash your fruit and veges before you eat or cut them!