Thursday, June 3, 2010

Top Ten Dirtiest Places - #6


Yep the next on the top ten dirtiest places are pools, waterparks, and beaches. There are a whole lot of people out there that have a lower standard of hygiene than others. I really like people and kids. I am the one right in there with them playing at their level (must be the kid in me). I get sneezed on, kissed, slimed, peed, and pooped on regularly and it doesn't bother me a bit because I know how to dispose of dirty diapers and how to wash my hands. However, at public beaches, pools, and waterparks this is a little less controllable and filled with people with that lower standard. I have seen dirty diapers buried in the sand.

I own a 24 foot round pool. I used to think that no bacteria could live in a highly chlorinated pool but it does, even in ours. When my nieces and nephews or friends of my kids come over, the chemicals in the pool change. I have this sign before you climb the stairs to the pool that says.....there is no p in this ool. People laugh about that....think it's funny. But in reality, kids do not want to take the time to come inside to go to the bathroom. They put the p in the ool. Fecal matter like E. Coli is different but common with kids in swimming areas and beaches. But the bacteria doesn't just come from kids or irresponsible parents. They come from storm drains and sewer overflows. They come from RV owners dumping their holding tanks into storm drains. Some of that untreated water eventually makes it to the ocean where currents keep it conveniently near the shore for our recreational pleasure.

Here are the stats: it is estimated that up to 1.5 million people develop health problems and illness from beach and surf contamination. Health officials carefully monitor "acceptable fecal limits" and close the beaches quite often when those levels climb. To me, there really is no thing as acceptable fecal limits. I am not happy about acceptable limits of rodent and insect parts in my food either.

Another huge problem at public pools and water parks is warts. The concrete around the pool is rough on purpose so people don't slip and fall. But it roughs up the bottom of your feet and because your feet are wet, the skin barrier is now broken and allows viruses to invade....warts is a prime example. Wearing water socks will prevent you and your child from getting warts. Now the fecal matter is a different story.

But when it is hot outside and summer beckons, we all would love to be at the beach or in the water, contamination or not. We take our chances and just hope we are not one of the 1.5 million people who come home with vomiting and diarrhea or warts.