Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Recipe - Beef Base Recipe - Per request

This is what I call a beef base recipe. I slow cook this then use it to make different things with it (beef tips over noodles, beef stroganoff, beef bourguignonne and beef stew) so I tend to make a huge pot of this so I can freeze the base and then whip the other things together to change it into the other recipes.

1 1/2 lb. sirloin, cut into bite size pieces
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 slice of bacon, cut into small pieces
1 garlic clove, minced or put through a press

In a skillet (I use my cast iron skillet but any one can be used), brown the meat in olive oil and bacon over medium heat. (This is a single recipe so depending on how many meals you want to get out of it will depend on how much meat you will use). (I usually use sirloin but I get it at costco when it is on sale). Take out the meat and put it in a dutch oven. Leave the grease in the skillet.

Mix together in a separate bowl:
1 c. flour
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. black pepper

Put the flour into the skillet and brown the flour slowly until it is dark brown. Pour this in the dutch oven with the meat. Pour 3 1/2 cups water into the skillet and then over the meat. This will finish getting the browned flour out of the skillet. Cover the dutch oven with a lid and cook in oven at 350 degrees for about 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender and gravy is thick or at 200 degrees for 8-10 hours.

To make beef tips over noodles:
Do nothing else except to make the noodles although I have added sliced mushrooms too. Spoon the tips over the noodles and serve.

To make stroganoff:
Add sliced mushrooms (I usually use fresh although I guess you can use a drained jar of mushrooms), a small container of sour cream and a tablespoon of worchestershire sauce. Make the noodles then spoon over the noodles.

To make beef stew:
Take the base and add diced potatoes, diced carrots, and I usually add a jar of small cocktail type onions drained. Cook over medium heat until the potatoes and carrots are cooked. I usually serve this with bread.

To make beef bourguignonne:
Take the base and add half a bottle of Kendall Jackson burgundy wine, sliced mushrooms, and a drained jar of the small cocktail type onions. Cook for an hour over medium heat uncovered. I serve this with boiled baby red potatoes. Yes, I serve the rest of the wine with the dinner. I have tried other wines but Kendall Jackson's burgundy wine just adds such a good flavor that I have found hard to beat.