Monday, July 12, 2010

How to pick a doctor

So how does one actually pick a doctor? That answer will vary from person to person. I remember just coming out of nursing school and this OB-GYN came highly recommended. I worked in CCU so had no idea what this guy even looked like but everyone raved about him so I made an appointment with him. There I am in the exam room stripped naked with only that paper thing around my chest and the paper sheet around my middle and I will admit I was daydreaming waiting on him. In walks this hunk.....and gosh do I mean a-one rated hunk. My mouth hit the floor and I dropped the sheet. He said, "Hi, I am Dr. J". I said I don't want you to examine me because I want to date you. Talk about a hunk! He laughed and said thanks. I said no I really mean it. I could not even let him touch me. I ended up with another doctor and to this day he will still razz me about that.

So advice #1: don't go to a really good looking doctor unless you are ok with that. I wasn't. I actually had no clue to what his credentials were. I just took what others said. That was where I made my mistake. Never ever go to anyone who is recommended to you without checking them out first.

Make sure they are board certified in the proper boards. There are 'internet' type board certifications out there for those people who can't pass the real ones. Make sure his certification is up to date and that he has recertified (most require this every 10 years). If he is stating he is a plastic surgeon, make sure his board certification is in plastic surgery, not in anything else.

Find out how long they have been on staff at a hospital (don't choose a doctor that seems to move around a lot). More important, make sure the hospital he is on staff at is rated in one of the top hospitals. There are more requirements for a doctor to get on staff there than say at a neighborhood hospital where they take anyone. Do not assume teaching hospitals are better. They may not be. Teaching hospitals are there to teach so you will have every level of resident come to peek in on you. One oncologist I had a consultation with was like that. I waited an hour to even get into a room, then I had 7 different residents come into my room asking me the same exact questions. By the time I got to the 4th one, I blew and said read the chart. I am sure they taught that in residency school. Plus if you have surgery at a teaching hospital, do not think your surgeon will do the surgery. Nope, a resident will (that's how they learn). That is one of the reasons I chose the hospital I did to have my procedure done. It did not have residents. I was guaranteed the person doing my surgery was who I chose.

Make sure they have a bedside manner and take time for you. I went to this one knee doctor who was supposedly the greatest and he checked out fine. But he had the bedside manner of a horse's ass. I never went back.

Take a list of questions with you. Do not leave until they are all answered. Don't let them intimidate you. I went to this one gastroenterologist who listened to me for 2 minutes then said well, we will do a little procedure and we will see then. Then he walked out the room. In comes the nurse with instructions on for an endoscopy. I asked what that was for. She said the doctor ordered it. I said well, I am not having anything done until he comes in and tells me what it is for. He popped his head back into the room and said, "I am the doctor". I said, "Nope you are fired." I walked out.

I have picked a doctor and loved him. Then he changed his office staff who were all pmsing 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. He refused to say anything to his staff so I dropped him. He finally got the message when he lost 90% of his business. Staff is important too.

Ask yourself these questions: Did they answer my questions completely? Do I feel comfortable or encouraged to ask questions or call with questions? Do they treat me with respect (gave me complete attention, did not dismiss my questions or concerns, asked me questions)? Did you ask for a second opinion and the doctor said there is no need. One of the best reasons for seeking a second opinion is if your doctor objects to it. If he objects, make sure that the second opinion comes from someone who is not associated with your doctor. Watch the doctors on your insurance plans. Do not assume the insurance company is out for your best interests and the doctors on staff are the best. Sometimes they are the dumbest because they are accepting a lower than normal payment plan while your insurance company pockets the difference. Can you make a same-day appointment with the doctor for a minor emergency such as a bee sting or laceration that needs stitches, or will he send you to the emergency room? Who handles the doctor's calls when his practice is closed? Does he share after-hours calls with another practice, does he split the time among his partners, or are you sent to the emergency room? How does this doctor notify you of test results? Does he or his nurse call you? Or is "no news good news"?

Hopefully those will help you choose. Good luck!

No comments: