Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Torn Meniscus - Knee Arthroscopy


Sorry I wasn't here yesterday. I have been having knee problems since March but I had fallen off the scooter (the wheels hit one of those handicap 'nubs' and the scooter went one way and I went the other). Since I was protecting my right ankle, I landed on my left knee in much the same way as when I fell and messed up the right ankle 3 years ago. This time I dislocated the kneecap or at least that is what we thought I did. Kneecap was put back in place but wouldn't stay on its track. I finally broke down and saw an orthopedic doctor who diagnosed arthritis and put me in a brace and on exercises to strengthen and keep the knee in place.

I thought good - this should go away in a few weeks. I guessed wrong. Ended up a few weeks ago heading back to the ortho and getting an MRI which showed I had a torn meniscus. Yesterday I had arthroscopic knee surgery but had spinal anesthesia thus was awake the entire time. I heard no good jokes but told them one.

I was back home within a couple hours and thought this is a piece of cake compared to ankle surgery.

Today I am eating my words. Throughout all 6 ankle surgeries, I took maybe 45 pain pills total in 3 years. This knee surgery - 4 so far today. It flippen hurts. But can I just rest it? Oh no, I have to do exercises - 10 quadriceps muscle tightening exercises 10 times per hour, straight leg raises 10 times per hour, 10 ankle pumping exercises 10 per hour. Now those aren't THAT bad but the next set: bend your knee as much as you can, then straighten out the knee as much as possible at least 4 times an hour - those are killers.

I realize they are trying to get me back to normal as soon as possible but gotta say I am not normal and never will be and it hurts like a ...................

2 comments:

Sunil Medapati said...


Knee arthroscopyis a surgical technique that can diagnose and treat problems in the knee joint by a tiny camera called an arthroscope.Arthroscopy diagnoses several knee problems, such as a torn meniscus or a misaligned patella (kneecap). It can also repair the ligaments of the joint.Knee Arthroscopyis done as a result of Torn meniscus. Meniscus is ligament that pads the space between the bones in the knee. Arthroscopic knee surgeryAis done to repair or expel it.

Orthopedics Bangalore said...

Thanks for sharing this information with us: Are you suffering from Arthroscopic Meniscal and want to get it Repair? Orthopedic Bangalore offer minimally invasive non-surgical interventions for Arthroscopic Meniscal Repair in Bangalore. Get the Best Orthopedics treatment by expert surgeons in Bangalore.