Sunday, July 25, 2010

Inspirational Sunday - Stop Look Listen

From Ralph Marston and one of my favorite links: http://greatday.com/motivate/
When you place too many conditions on your enjoyment of life, there is no enjoyment. You can end up working so much to get the conditions just right, that there's no time left to really enjoy yourself.

Let go of the need to have everything just so. Simply and fully enjoy being where you are.

In every moment there is beauty. Rather than striving to make that beauty into what you think it should be, just enjoy it as it is.

Happiness is not something you must prove. Find enjoyment in simply letting it flow.

Instead of working to do happy, be happy. See that the possibilities for joy are far greater than anything you could ever contrive.

There is plenty of joy to be lived in this moment. Let the uniqueness of the moment help you discover new ways of tasting life's real pleasures.


This is a hard concept to actually do - take joy in the simple pleasures. I try to remember to remind myself to look around and see things that I normally wouldn't see. We all get busy in life and forget to stop, look, and listen.

Right now I am having a hard time getting up the enthusiasm and energy to attend a family reunion this coming weekend. It will be the first one after my mother's death. I am still not walking much and am still in pain with the ankle. I got yelled at by the knee doctor who told me I was doing way too much too fast for just a little more than a week after surgery. Plus everyone planned the food without me and I can't eat one thing on their menu which consists of salty and preservative ridden deli meat, breads that contain wheat, and then Italian beef that is super spicy along with salty chips and high fat food. They used an email address that I have repeatedly told them to delete. So I am now planning on something for son, husband and I to bring and eat. Kinda overwhelming when I can barely walk or be up for any length of time.

But the quote says to stop, look and listen. I then thought of bringing some puzzles - 100 piece and sit and do them with some of my nieces and nephews which would keep me sitting and them entertained. I also can't wait to see my one cousin who is coming up that I haven't seen in over 10 years although we talk about once a month on the phone. Frankly though I am not looking forward to seeing some of my family yet being around them for 2-3 days.

Every time I have stopped, looked, and listened, I see the simple things and somehow they explode into many things that will find pleasure in not only my life, my husband's life, but other's lives as well. I just have to keep this quote in my brain and keep repeating it the whole weekend.

No comments: