Sunday, August 3, 2008

Day 1


MIL was released from the hospital today, way too soon in my opinion but Medicare doesn't think so. Since she was released on a Sunday, of course no social service so no home care so guess who got the job? Yep moi!

I have been with his father day in and day out since Thursday. By Saturday morning and little to no sleep in 3 days, I had about reached the end of my rope. I told hubs even my family was easier to deal with. Hub's brother said he would take care of his father yesterday and overnight and I didn't give him a chance to say change his mind. We left. I pretty much went to bed as soon as I got home and slept 12 hours straight.

The morning was spend arranging things for the office for hubs to take in, doing laundry, then packing so I can stay at his parent's house for the week. On our way over, I stopped at Best Buy and changed from a card with prepaid minutes on it for the internet to adding this nice doohickey with unlimited whistles and bells (as long as I have cell access). Which is how I am on here....nifty gizmos they have out now. Not a clue as to what it's called but the Geek Squad must be used to the word doohickey and after asking me what I wanted it for, they went right to it and then it was activation and voila...after a short install, I am set to go.

Hubs stayed for dinner. I made swedish meatballs for them with steamed veges the low fat and low sodium way. Hubs or his parents didn't have a clue until I told them.

So far we are doing ok if you count going to bed before sundown ok. I am more of a night person but lately it's been anything goes so guess I will be adapting over the next few days.

We've had just a few minor repeats of who I am, why I am here, etc. I hear them snoring right now so hopefully they will stay that way for a bit.

To catch you up: hub's mother was admitted Friday for blood pressure problems although on admission her pulse was pretty low so while they had taken her down for tests, I had the nurses put a heart monitor on her. Luckily I did because she didn't just have high blood pressure, she was in 1st degree heart block. She was brought back to the room and switched immediately to CCU. She progressed from 1st degree to 2nd degree and so defibrillator pads were placed on her. They finally got her blood pressure down via IV meds when she developed congestive heart failure so they flooded her with Lasix and put a catheter into her bladder. She progressed to 3rd degree block and they inserted a temporary pacemaker until they could get a surgeon. She had a pacemaker inserted Saturday am and has been doing fine since. She was discharged this afternoon straight from CCU. So she's my problem right now until we decide what she is capable of and what they need here at home. I swore I would never move back to my parent's house and yet here I am taking care of the MIL and FIL.

**sigh** day 1 and counting down.......at least I have internet!

No comments: