Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Don't Get Old!


The blog title says it all. We left his parents alone the past 2 days. We have had 15 phone calls yesterday and today, mainly concerning their water softener which is not working. We said, we will be out Thursday and we will take a look at it then. Did they listen? Nope, MIL called the water softener company which said the output plug was clogged and they needed to empty out the entire water softner of salt and call a plumber to clean it. So instead of listening to us, MIL and FIL hand dipped almost 2 - 50 pound bags out of the softener container. She called us to let us know she did it but they had to stop because they couldn't reach into the container to get the rest. Of course, we about had a heart attack ourselves.

Today MIL calls and says she made her cardiologist appointment for the 19th. I told her that I couldn't do it that day and I had told her that. I told her to get her list of dates I could take her and to see if that date was a good one. She hung up on me. 15 minutes later she calls back after finding the list (might have been nice to have a 'let me call you back while look for the list.' No, I get hung up on. So she says well, yes that wasn't a date you said you would be free but I didn't think it mattered that much.

I am taking deep breaths by now. Why on earth would I bother to make a list of dates I was available if I didn't mean it?

I take a really deep breath and tell her I can't possible take her that day. I had to assist her son in a surgery. She had to change the appointment to another one of the days I gave her. She hung up on me again.

Next call: she made it on another day that was not on the approved list. But the date was doable....just not the time. I asked for the doctor's phone number. She started yelling at me to not treat her like a child. I said then stop acting like one or your rear will be in an assisted living place before I count to 10.

I called the doctor and got an appointment earlier in the day. I called MIL back and FIL answers. I ask where MIL was. This is our conversation:

FIL: "I don't know."
Me: "Is she in the house?"
FIL: "I don't know."
Me: "When did you last see her?"
FIL: "I don't know."
Me: "Will you please look around for her for me?"
FIL: "I don't know if I can do that."
Then he hangs up.

I call back 10 minutes later. This time MIL answers. This is our conversation:

Me: "I called about 10 minutes ago and dad said he didn't know where you were. Is everything ok?"
MIL: "Yeah, I guess. He didn't tell me you called."
Me: "I am not surprised. So what's wrong?"
MIL: "Well, I was outside making sure that foreign lawn mowing company you hired was mowing our grass the way we like."

Ok now I will readily admit I have no clue how to even turn on the riding mower. I am sure I can figure it out. After all, I am woman. But there is a way to mow grass properly? Learn something new every day.

Me: "Ok, but you are not supposed to be outside and you are not supposed to be leaving FIL alone, remember?"
MIL: "Well, this was important. I had to let them know how to mow our grass the way we like it done. But no one spoke English. What kind of company did you hire?"
Me: "I hired a reputable company owned by the son of a friend. They cut over 10 lawns per day, I am sure they can do yours and don't need any instructions."
MIL: "Well, I don't like foreigners on our property. We can just cut the grass ourselves."
Me: "You have over an acre of grass to mow. You are not allowed to mow it. Those are not foreigners and they are trained in what they do. If you fire them, I am putting you in the home this weekend. Now the reason I called was to let you know that I changed your cardiologist appointment on the 25th from the afternoon to the morning. I will be there to take you."
MIL: "Well, I am not sure I like that early in the morning."
Me: "Well, that is the only time I can take you so you will just have to get up a little bit earlier that day. Besides it is your son's and my anniversary. I am giving the morning up to drive you."
MIL: "Well, I don't want to put you out. So I will make dinner for you."
Me: "Don't bother making dinner. I have to be back to work by 2pm and we will be working until 9pm."
Me: "Did the lawyer come by today to revise your healthcare power of attorney and power of attorney for property?"
MIL: "No, I cancelled him. I just can't think of that right now."
Me: "Ok, so your power of attorney is still in the hands of a man who doesn't know what year it is, thinks he is still working, and doesn't know who or where people are. You realize that, right, and this is your choice?"
MIL: "You are making my heart go funny thinking of everything to do."
Me: "Well, you are making ours go even funnier thinking of what you are doing that you are not supposed to be and worrying about it, and cancelling things we have set up to keep you in your home which is what you want. So you have to really really think about this and realize either you slow down and stop this stuff or we will have no choice but to put you in assisted living."

Don't get old. I am revising my healthcare power of attorney to say: Just shoot me!