Sunday, August 10, 2008

Stress



I was browsing one of my practice management monthly magazines last night before I fell asleep and came across this:

No Offense, But....
Never speak what's on your mind if you feel the need to preface your comments with the words "I don't mean to offend anyone..." Warning others that you are about to say say something risky does not immunize you from the words' impact. The warning does not let you off the hook. If you think that your words might offend, rework your comments or save them for a more appropriate time.
Source: Adapted from: "Lessons from the Humor Police" by Joni Johnston


Yep should have gotten that a couple of days ago or maybe even years years years ago.

I have this habit of speaking without thinking. Sometimes it is ok but other times it's best to heed the above lesson.

You all know I missed my family reunion since we were/are dealing with the crisis with the inlaws. We had planned for a family photograph for one of the days. We try to take one every year to capture each new member of the family but honestly, with as many people in my side of the family, it just isn't possible. Someone is always missing.

Well, for my parent's 50th anniversary, they sprung for a 7 day Disney cruise for all of us, visiting the Virgin Islands, Jamaica, and the Bahamas. I got sick - actually really sick so hubs and I stayed home. A formal family picture was taken then too and hubs and I missed it. A few of my family have never forgiven me for missing the cruise. It happens even in the best of families. I moved on.

But I committed the same sin once again - I missed the family picture. This time the photographer stated she could photoshop hubs, son, and I into the picture. I guess there were dissenting members of my family. I just found out about it. So before I thought, I got pissed and sent an email to the entire family, letting my feelings be known.....in yep, an angry and pissy tone of voice.

I am now paying the price of that email. But in my defense, I didn't begin the email with the words "I don't mean to offend anyone...". And honestly, I don't regret one word I said in the email.

Does that make me a bad person?