Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ever Feel Like an Old Dog?


....and who has a hard time learning new tricks?

Well, for the past month now, I have been slowly learning PowerPoint 2007 which I had never ever used before. It's been one h of an experience and truthfully - one I hope to forget for quite a while.

But before the learning took place, I was trying to figure out where my PowerPoint disc was. I knew I had it on one of my computers at one time but couldn't find it - anywhere. No clue what happened to it but it was probably taken by "I don't have it" (don't all households have that imaginary person in their house?) Well, if you don't then that's why he/she seems to be at my house a lot even though I am a pretty organized person.

So I had to go out and actually purchase another copy of PowerPoint. When I looked at the price of just PowerPoint 2007, then looked at a complete Microsoft Office 2007 that included Word and Excel, I couldn't pass the deal up.

Little did I know how different Microsoft Office 2003 was compared to the 2007 version. So now I was not only learning PowerPoint, but I was re-learning Excel and Word and trying to find things I knew right where they were in the 2003 version but they had to use these huge icons instead of words in the 2007 version. I have no clue as to why words wouldn't work but I am definitely not an icon person. I love words. Icons can mean many different things. Then who was to know there were a whole lot of icons that one can't even see? I found one today that I had been searching for probably 2-3 weeks.

Now I had to turn my PowerPoint presentation into a Word or pdf document. This took me 3 days to learn. But I wasn't finished. No, I had to add one Word page that contained Excel tables to the PowerPoint handout that I had converted to Word. No matter how many times I tried, it wouldn't work - the tables changed and that wasn't good. After 8 hours today, I finally accomplished that.

I feel like an old dog. And Microsoft Office 2010 is out. I wonder if I will ever be comfortable enough with 2007 before I have to upgrade to 2010?